If you look at the big corporations and tech giants. All have something in common. They have cybersecurity for their server or system. Cyber security is the system of protecting networks, devices, and data from unauthorized or illegal use. Cyber security protects your data from any harm or breach. Ethical hacking is the practice of bypassing system security to identify the loophole through authorized means.
Cyber security and ethical hacking are related on some basis. This is because an ethical hacker will try to find and improve the cyber security of a system through ethical hacking. In this article, we will discuss the concept of and roles of cyber security and ethical hacking hand to hand.
What Does Cyber Security Mean?
A company has a lot of sensitive data stored in its system or server. This sensitive data is crucial and very valuable to the company. The biggest platforms like Facebook, WhatsApp. Snapchat, Telegram, etc store a lot of sensitive data of the user. If this information has fallen into the wrong hands then it can damage both the company and the users.
To protect the company from any harmful breach cyber security is established. This protects the server or system from any cyber attack. Cyber security is the defensive procedure that protects the network, system, device, or server from any illegal access and potential threat.
A cyber attacker will always try to attack any system that has valuable data in it. This data is a prime asset to many companies. If any ransomware occurs, then they can demand millions for ransom. The experts take all the necessary procedures to make the system free from any potential breach and secure the data at any cost. In this profession, the experts need to have a combination of different skills and tools to make a safe environment for the users.
Did you know about the most powerful cyber threats, if not then this article for you – 7 Types Of Cyber Security Threats?
Role of Cyber Security Experts
Cyber security has to maintain a fixed role to work functionally in the workspace. The roles of cyber security experts are as follows-
- The main thing a cyber security expert does is to check the existing security plan for breaches and loopholes. He analyzes the whole system like software, hardware and provides suggestions to make appropriate changes. The new system might be built himself or he leads a whole.
- He takes the responsibility of installing the developed security system as well as applying all the settings. He makes sure to look for the changes or upgrade the system needs. He reports all the data to the higher authority mentioning the system and security
- He makes sure to analyze the malware and the viruses. He then encrypts the data behind that malicious thing to know its main purpose. This eventually makes a stronger security program for the system.
- To run the cyber security team effectively, he needs to be competent to monitor all the networks and applications.
- He needs to keep the analysis going until he finds any loophole. This means he has to be consistent.
What Does Ethical Hacking Mean?
If you want to check your lock is secured, you need to bypass it to determine how effective it is. To do that you hire a locksmith who will try to bypass it but won’t do harm to your asset. A similar process is used in the world of technology where data is digitized. To determine whether the system is powerful you need to try bypassing it.
This bypassing method is done by ethical hacking. Ethical hacking is the process of invading a system to check any possible breaches without harming the system. Here the hacking is done knowingly by the client’s supervision. This ethical approach is taken by the ethical hacker. They use all the methods just like a black hat hacker but do not harm the system.
The main agenda of an ethical hacker is to find the loopholes and the vulnerabilities of the system. Here, the expertise of the hacker is very important. The reason is that to find the most difficult loopholes, an ethical hacker needs to have vast knowledge and years of experience.
Ethical hackers not only try to bypass the system but also find the appropriate solution for the loopholes. They proceed on securing the system after they have successfully hacked the system.
Role of Ethical Hacker
There is a misconception where people assume that an ethical hacker gets hired only for penetration testing systems and applications. But it is more than that. Here are the roles and responsibilities that an ethical hacker as to maintain in the workspace –
- An ethical hacker has to scan the open and closed ports using Nexus and NMAP. These are Reconnaissance tools.
- He has to engage himself in social engineering methodologies.
- He has to examine the patch releases by performing vigorous breach analysis.
- He has to check if he can evade the IDS, IPS, honeypots, and firewalls.
- He needs to produce new strategies like sniffing networks, bypassing, hijacking web servers, etc.
- He designs a plan of attack that consists of exploiting software vulnerabilities, social manipulation, or any combination of these factors.
- He researches the intended target through both open-source and dark web channels.
- He makes sure to collect all the data of the loopholes and breaches and report back to the relevant department.
- Keep the client updated about every minor development or setback of the security system.
- He makes sure to cooperate with the IT team and cyber security experts to finish the task efficiently.
If you have an interest in Ethical Hacking, then I think you should know about this – What Are The Things I Need To Know In Order To Learn Ethical Hacking?
Cyber security and ethical hacking may seem all flashy but it takes years of practice and expertise. The world is getting fully digitized day by day. More people are involved in cyberattacks to exploit money from corporations. That is why it is very important to hire competent and responsible ethical hackers and cyber security experts. They are the pillar that protects the system from any major threats. A company trusts its data to be protected by cyber security and ethical hackers.